On February 14, 1916, Dr. Eldo L. Hendricks, Dr. Claude A Phillips, and Dr. Clarence H. McClure founded Phi Sigma Pi. The first chapter opened at the State Teachers College at Warrensburg Missouri, now known as the University of Central Missouri. The fraternity became national in 1921 with the induction of a second chapter at Bradley University. In 1977, Phi Sigma Pi became co-educational.
The Coat of Arms has been modified twice since its inception in 1916. The current Coat of Arms consists of the shield bearing an open book and staff, three stars, and four clasped links. The shield is surmounted by the Lamp of Knowledge and adorned at the bottom with a ribbon upon which were embroidered Phi Sigma Pi in Greek.